Welcome to all members

JOIN this blog to post

If you would like to post in this section you will need to join this blog - email us via the Contact Form below.

Post your pictures of any visits away from Cromwell Bottom L.N.R.

Please remember to name all place names and species on your post if you are able to, (subject to species protection restrictions)

Thursday, 26 March 2015

Time away: Two days on the east Coast of Yorkshire

I spent a few days away in North Yorkshire (Bempton Cliffs and the Wolds). I went to photograph the Gannets at Bempton Cliffs, intending to capature some their early breeding behavour on camera. (As well as other birds) Though the sea cliffs were shrouded in sea-fret it seemed to add to the atmosphere and reminded me what a tough time our sea cliff breeding birds have. 

Staying in a B & B in Scarborough gave me the opportunity to have a look at the harbour and a journey into the Wolds enabled me to photgraph some hares.
                    Gannet collecting grass for nest at the begining of the breeding season
                                                                       Ditto
                                                                        Ditto
                                                 Gannet building its nest
                                    Gannets renewing their relationship by bill touching
 Gannets arguing over space. A Gannet colony is a crowded place. 11000 pairs nest on Bempton cliffs.
                                             Ditto: That beak is like a dagger.
                                                            Gannets on nests
                                                               Gannet in flight
                                           Fulmar warning off an intruder
                                                             Gannet in flight
                                                                    Herring Gull.
                                     Guillemots renewing bonding ready for breeding
                                                           Mediterranean Gull
                                                                       Turnstone
                                                                 Turnstone
                                                       Pied Wagtail on Filey beach
                                                                      Brown Hare
                                                                       Ditto
                                                                         Ditto
                                                                          Ditto

5 comments:

  1. Leave some room for our 3 Member visits to Bempton this year!.
    Especially as there is only the 2 of us going so far. Yes that's right Allan - No one else want's to go apparently!
    Hopefully we can get you a brighter day next time.
    Be careful the farmer doesn't think your bottom sticking up in the air is a Hare! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure we will have a number of takers. It's a great place to go. I weant to document the life of the Gannets at Bempton this year . Which is why I've already booked on a diving Gannets trip with Yorkshire Coast Nature. for 15th of June.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots, I'm definitely going soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Steve. I'm hoping to go again soon. The new centre will be open so I expect it will be busy.

    ReplyDelete