Little Egrets. Best viewed from East Hide or Wild-life Look Out Hide. Both can provide good views.
Knot in breeding plumage. They may have travelled from as far away as the Canadian arctic to spend winter here.
Oyster catchers. Adult and Juvenile. Both adults ensured it was well fed and looked after.
Redshank in summer plumage. Good views of these were gained from the Wildlife lookout Hide in the afternoon.
Common Sandpipers.
Avocet: Usually quite a distance away this one came quite close
Common Terns. Not long before they will be taking off for the winter.
Dunlin.
Moorhen chick. Would they win a beauty contest ? I always think that facially they look like old men who are thinning out on top.
I spent some time watching and photographing these Bee-killer wasps, known at Minsmere as Bee-Wolfs. They are solitary wasps making their home in the holes they have excavated. It is into these holes that the female takes her prey items, usually Honey Bees, which she has paralysed and on which her lave will then feed.
Bumble Bees. Always facinating to watch and photograph.
Burnett Moth.
Emperor Dragonfly laying its eggs in the still waters of a pond
Juvenile Lizard trying hard not to be seen
Sandmartins resting before their next flight
I came across these interesting spiders on the way down to Sizewell. I called them Funnel Spiders because their web was always made in the shape of a wide and deep funnel. Perhaps someone out there can tell me their proper name.
Painted lady Butterfly.
Brimstone Butterfly (female) feeding on Buddleia flower near cafe area.
Large White Butterflys
Cinnabar Moth Caterpillar having a good feed.
Grayling Butterfly resting on path and in the process almost becoming invisable, such is the art of camoflage.

Hello Allan, your spider - Have you got views of it's backside? Probably impossible to I.D. with just the head, But the shape, size & markings of it's rear would help a lot! Good timing with the Knot in Summer plumage BTW!
ReplyDeleteLovely shots Allan seems like you had a good time down there.
ReplyDeleteThanks Dave/Barry.
DeleteI had a great week. It would have been good to have a few more days in the area. Well worth the journey down and being an RSPB member we didn't have to pay £16;00 entrance fee for two people. Great savings over the week.
Barry, that was the first time I had seen Knot in breeding plumage. They looked superb. I took the photos of them from South Hide in the afternoon. (Sun is in the wrong area in the morning as you know)
I was hoping someone like Bruce might help me identify the spiders. Their funnel shaped webs
were amazing.