Welcome to all members

JOIN this blog to post

If you would like to post in this section you will need to join this blog - email us via the Contact Form below.

Post your pictures of any visits away from Cromwell Bottom L.N.R.

Please remember to name all place names and species on your post if you are able to, (subject to species protection restrictions)

Thursday, 25 June 2015

Marshie land!

Had a week in Norfolk - Land of the Marsh Harrier! They are everywhere as well as singing Cetti's.
I went with Hobby, Bittern, Little Tern, & possibly Montagu's as target species, anything else was fine too.
Day 1 - As soon as I got there & scouted round - All the local Tern colonies had been High Tided & abandoned, ...... Gutted!
After checking places out I settled on 3 Reserves worth days out, Hickling, Strumpshaw & Minsmere now the celeb chasing nuts have gone!

Hickling Broad
Did this place a couple of times - Lots of Swallowtails around & in my opinion one of the best for them, saw hardly any on other sites.
The Swallowtails:





A few other perspectives of them other than flat wing shots.
 
Little Egrets were everywhere.

A few Marsh Harriers at one end.
The elusive Bitterns .... managed one snap of a short flight.
Broad Bodied chasers were everywhere whilst there but I managed a Four Spot Chaser.
 
Strumpshaw Fen RSPB
If you want to see Harriers & Hobbies - this was a good place to see them, there was also a Barn Owl out one day at 1.00pm in the afternoon (heavy rain overnight).
 
Spotted this on a thistle - Garden Tiger Moth caterpillar
 Egrets again!
 A few of these were zipping about - Didn't know straight away what it was - Just it had to be snapped as we don't see them at Cromwell.
 Scarce Chasers
 
Some of the Marsh Harriers!



For the moth lovers -
 Elephant Hawkmoth.
 Puss Moth.
Eyed Hawk Moth - "eyes hiding"
 
Minsmere RSPB.
I'm sure this place has got even bigger since my visit 20years ago!
Up to this point on my break - I was a bit let-down picture wise, having not really got any shots to exite me!
I nipped round to Bittern Hide - where views of anything were miles away, Bitterns were tiny brown dots, as were the Marsh Harriers. BUT ..... there was some Cheeky Hobbies zipping around (6 at one time) One in particular liked to whizz past our faces only inches away Great stuff!, More like it!
The Sun dropped & the Dragonflies did the same - Leaving the Hobbies snack less!
 
To my surprise they came & started sitting right next to the hide Oh Giddy me!
 One landed off to the left & I grabbed an emergency compo few shots off.
Not too shabby I thought!
 
Then we had one land off to the right & pretty close.

Now this is what I'm talking about ...... lol My Holiday has picked up BIG TIME!
 
Another off to left in the tricky light!

 & back to the right again in the perfect light & Background

 
Happy as a Pig in poop! I went for a wander round.
This Lapwing was close to a hide - I was on my way out & it practically stood on a "rock" that moved!!!!
Here's the moving rock Nobody noticed 15ft from the hide?



A Cracking Little Ringed Plover - Juv or Non-Breeding Plumage.
LRP is My opinion & general consensus on the day by everyone. It was as tiny as a sparrow "almost".
 
A few Godwits about. 

Yawn - More Egrets.
Got to have a few Avocets at this place - behind their infamous Badger fence!
 
 
Then there were these - Stumbled across them in the middle of nowhere hiding in a ditch.


4 little babies sat in the Drive through!
 
The Hobbies made up for the lack of Little Tern colonies & the Swallows made for a humorous few minutes, even begging for food off passing Reed Warblers.
Not too bad a break!
 


4 comments:

  1. Some cracking shots there Barry, looks like you had a good time in Norfolk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave - It was Great for seeing stuff, if your just a watcher. Much more of a challenge for the Photographer. The Hobby & LRP made the extortionate fee for walking round Minsmere a bit more tolerable. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Barry made even better by the hobbies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice set of images Barry. Did you use your Macro for the Swallowtails and Chasers? I se what you mean regarding the Hobby. I'm off to Minsmere last week in July.

    ReplyDelete