Welcome to all members

JOIN this blog to post

If you would like to post in this section you will need to join this blog - email us via the Contact Form below.

Post your pictures of any visits away from Cromwell Bottom L.N.R.

Please remember to name all place names and species on your post if you are able to, (subject to species protection restrictions)

Monday, 8 June 2015

Northumbian Delights

                                                                       Arctic Tern
                                                                  Guillemot

                                                            Arctic Tern
                                           Immature Gull (poss Herring Gull)
                                                             Eider Duck (Male)




                                                                       Puffin






                                                                     Razorbill
                                                                          Shag

                                                                       Kittiwake
                                                              Ringed Plover
                                 Sanderlings sheltering from the wind (Sandstorm at their level).
                                                       Sanderling feeding in the sand
                                                         Below: Sandmartins at nest
I spent five days in May on holiday in Northumbria. Great to revist the Farne's, Beadnell, Bamborough and Seahouses. Above are just some of the delights I enjoyed.

1 comment:

  1. Your Guillemot is "Bridled" which are not considered a Subspecies as of yet, but are considered as examples of dimorphism, & Sometimes called ringed Guillemots! Dimorphism is the existence of 2 distinct forms, usually of plumage for those who might want to know. We usually know this as Sexual Dimorphism, i.e. mallards. They are supposed to be more common in the North than the south & strangely - I have seen quite a few on the Farnes but don't recall noticing any at Bempton.
    I think that the extra white on the face is pretty cool & makes them more striking!
    We will have to consider a Cromwell group trip up there next year, but will probably end up just 3-4 of us as usual. I bagsy not driving! lol

    ReplyDelete